096: This Ain’t the Hobbit!
In this episode, we’re tackling two big topics in the nonprofit world – DIY projects and customizing bylaws.
We’ve all had those moments where we’ve rolled up our sleeves and thought, “Sure, I can handle this!” But, when it comes to nonprofit work, sometimes that scrappy DIY spirit can lead to more harm than good.
Don’t worry. We’ve got plenty of stories to share (some funny, some a bit painful) about the balance between doing it yourself and calling in the professionals.
Then, we’re shifting gears to talk about nonprofit bylaws. If you’ve ever thought that a standard one-size-fits-all solution is the best way to go, let us tell you – it’s not that simple. Each state, type of nonprofit, and governance structure has unique requirements. Ignore these, and you could find yourself in a sticky situation, especially with board members. We’ll share expert advice on how to navigate this complex area and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!
Tune in for some laughs, some learning, and a lot of practical advice. Whether you’re a seasoned nonprofit professional or just strapping on your nonprofit boots, there’s something here for you. Let’s dive in, explore the balance of DIY projects versus professional assistance, and unlock the mysteries of customizing nonprofit bylaws.
In this episode, you will hear:
- The eternal question for nonprofits – to DIY or not to DIY?
- Weighing the pros and cons of doing a project yourself versus hiring a professional
- The crucial world of customizing nonprofit bylaws – it’s not a one-size-fits-all situation
- How each state’s nonprofit corporate statute, the type of nonprofit, and the organization’s governance structure play crucial roles in drafting the bylaws
- The common mistakes nonprofits make when they underestimate the importance of bylaws
- Understanding the law, best practices, and organization theory and development when drafting bylaws
Resources from this Episode
Sign up for the Birken Law Email list: https://birkenlaw.com/signup/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/birkenlaw
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.