099: Pump It Up!
On this episode of Charity Therapy, Meghan and I break down nonprofit bylaws and everyyyyything you didn’t even know you needed to know. Trust me – by the end of this episode, you’ll be a nonprofit legal eagle! From the implications of not following bylaws to debunking common misconceptions, we’re laying it all out there – and throwing in a good dose of humor along the way.
We tackle a question from a listener who’s a little unsure about the legal and ethical aspects of a decision made in their organization. The president of their nonprofit unfortunately passed away, and the vice president stepped in – but now he’s postponing elections until 2025! Sounds complicated, right? But don’t worry. We’re diving deep into this and breaking it all down.
If you’re confused about nonprofit bylaws or have ever wondered about the rights and expectations of voting members in your organization, this is the episode for you. We’re all about bringing clarity to complex matters and reminding you that you’re not alone on your nonprofit journey.
In this episode, you will hear:
- Debunking misconceptions about nonprofit bylaws
- The importance of an organization’s constitution
- A listener’s question about a president postponing elections after a sudden death
- The legal and ethical issues surrounding a postponed election
- Adhering to bylaws even when non-compliance may not have severe consequences
- A potential 501(c)(3) violation by an “assumed president”
- Holding a special election to maintain proper procedures
- Avoiding legal issues in nonprofits and getting professional advice when questions come up
Resources from this Episode
Sign up for the Birken Law Email list: https://birkenlaw.com/signup/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/birkenlaw
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.