Nonprofit Emergencies are Hard
Nonprofits tend to cruise along OK…until you hit a speed bump. If you’re here, there’s something big that needs to be handled, RIGHT NOW. Don’t Panic. You’re in the right place.
Call us at 612.200.3679. Say you’re a new client and my team will get you on the phone with our new client specialist ASAP.
How we approach conflicts and crisis:
I spent several years in-house at a large nonprofit and I’m a trained mediator. When I work with my team on a client emergency, our goals are:
✓ Minimize your lost time and money
✓ Help clients make clear decisions
✓ Reduce harm to the nonprofit
✓ Preserve your working relationships
It’s a small world. The people in a conflict today may be potential funders or donors tomorrow. I can help you keep a clear head through difficult times, navigate situations with integrity and plan the way forward.
Things we can help with:
● Board and staff conflicts or removal
● Voting member disputes
● Financial fraud or theft
● Disagreements with key partners or outside groups
● PR nightmares
What clients say about working with us?
“This is the most thorough, but easy to understand email I’ve EVER read from a lawyer. THANK YOU!!!” – Mandi, voting member at an educational organization
“They were able to expedite my meeting and even get some quick advice the same day! The attempt to accommodate was refreshing and her advice was very intuitive to the situation and helped immensely!” – Bruce, Board member facing a time sensitive issue at a small nonprofit
“Jess knows [our staff] aren’t administrators. She’s patient. She works with them and helps them understand. At the end of the day it’s not just about getting the job done, it’s about helping them understand why we need to be where we’re at.” – Ron, Public Finance Director at a national nonprofit
Jess is great to work with - knowledgeable, flexible, and personable. She was a key player in helping my org through a difficult transition
We are a start-up nonprofit, with years of experience in the for-profit world but knew we'd need a different approach to successfully navigate nonprofit requirements. Birken Law was great, Jess provided useful and reasonable help as we completed the incorporation process and then successfully applied for 501c3 status. Their help as we were drafting our mission, articles and by-laws ensured we properly communicated our charitable purpose. I appreciated Jess's transparent process and found their office to be responsive and customer-service focused. I'd recommend Birken Law to any nonprofit looking for a good legal partner.
I’ve served as general counsel to a non-profit for the past 7 years. The work is very important and meaningful to me. When I have an issue that I’m unsure how to handle - I turn to Jess Birken for advice. Jess is based in Minneapolis but has built national reputation as a leader in non-profit law. I recommend her without hesitation.
Jess is awesome to work with! Worth every penny and our organization is excited to work with her for the long haul!
Jess surprised us. We already knew she was approachable and pragmatic. We arrived seeking legal advice (our questions were answered!) and left with additional valuable considerations for our business. Her depth is impressive. The frank discussion was well-worth the time.
Workflow of a Nonprofit Emergency
1. Assessment & Diagnoses Phase. Book an ER Session. We’ll work with you to try to stabilize, create a plan of action or (if possible) resolve the situation in under 2 hours. Time is usually critical to the process.
2. Action Phase. We help you develop a plan in the ER Session. Often clients elect to have us help with the plan, helping you manage the situation and connect you with resources you need while things are still in “triage” mode. We strive to be highly responsive in this phase.
3. Retrospective Phase. After the smoke clears, things feel less urgent. Now let’s look at what we can do to protect you going forward. We typically work with clients to implement changes that will prevent future costly issues and keep mission delivery front and center.