Nonprofit Emergencies are Hard
Nonprofits tend to cruise along OK…until you hit a speed bump. If you're here, there's something big that needs to be handled, RIGHT NOW. Don't Panic. You’re in the right place.
How we approach conflicts and crisis:
I spent several years in-house at a large nonprofit and I'm a trained mediator. When I work with my team on a client emergency, our goals are:
✓ Minimize your lost time and money
✓ Help clients make clear decisions
✓ Reduce harm to the nonprofit
✓ Preserve your working relationships
It's a small world. The people in a conflict today may be potential funders or donors tomorrow. I can help you keep a clear head through difficult times, navigate situations with integrity and plan the way forward.
Things we can help with:
● Board and staff conflicts or removal
● Voting member disputes
● Financial fraud or theft
● Disagreements with key partners or outside groups
● PR nightmares
What clients say about working with us?
“This is the most thorough, but easy to understand email I've EVER read from a lawyer. THANK YOU!!!” – Mandi, voting member at an educational organization
“They were able to expedite my meeting and even get some quick advice the same day! The attempt to accommodate was refreshing and her advice was very intuitive to the situation and helped immensely!” – Bruce, Board member facing a time sensitive issue at a small nonprofit
“Jess knows [our staff] aren't administrators. She's patient. She works with them and helps them understand. At the end of the day it's not just about getting the job done, it's about helping them understand why we need to be where we're at.” – Ron, Public Finance Director at a national nonprofit
Jess is so awesome to work with! A real champion for Non-profits and Neighborhood Organizations!
Jess is great to work with - knowledgeable, flexible, and personable. She was a key player in helping my org through a difficult transition
Jess has one of the coolest law practices I know about, selling affordable legal-as-a-subscription services to nonprofits throughout Minnesota. She has built some incredible systems and delivery tools where clients--once they join her program--can self-serve a lot of the legal documents they need to keep their organization humming. Jess helps make sure you keep up with all of your required filings, and you get to meet with Jess and her team for personalized advice when you need it.
Our church needed urgent legal help regarding changing our corporate status so that we could close on a renovation loan. Jess' office was able to talk with us on the phone about the issue immediately and within 3 hours we had an hour-long consult with Jess. She was proactive in her communication with all parties and went and filed the necessary documents in person. Because she was there in person - keep in mind we were working off of photocopies of a 107 year-old documents - Jess was able to fix a problem on the spot (a 5-6 look an awfully lot alike on old documents) and get the recorder to accept the filing. This meant we could move forward with closing without delay. I could not recommend Jess or her firm more highly.
Jess was great! She really put our board at ease. We look forward to working with her.
Workflow of a Nonprofit Emergency
1. Assessment & Diagnoses Phase. Book an ER Session. We'll work with you to try to stabilize, create a plan of action or (if possible) resolve the situation in under 2 hours. Time is usually critical to the process.
2. Action Phase. We help you develop a plan in the ER Session. Often clients elect to have us help with the plan, helping you manage the situation and connect you with resources you need while things are still in “triage” mode. We strive to be highly responsive in this phase.
3. Retrospective Phase. After the smoke clears, things feel less urgent. Now let's look at what we can do to protect you going forward. We typically work with clients to implement changes that will prevent future costly issues and keep mission delivery front and center.