Non-Profit Crisis Management Lawyer
Non-profits tend to cruise along OK…until you hit a speed bump. If you’re here, there’s something big that needs to be handled, RIGHT NOW. Don’t Panic. You’re in the right place.
Say you’re a new client and my team will get you on the phone with our new client specialist ASAP.
How we approach conflicts and crisis:
I spent several years in-house at a large nonprofit and I’m a trained mediator. When I work with my team on a client emergency, our goals are:
✓ Minimize your lost time and money
✓ Help clients make clear decisions
✓ Reduce harm to the nonprofit
✓ Preserve your working relationships
It’s a small world. The people in a conflict today may be potential funders or donors tomorrow. I can help you keep a clear head through difficult times, navigate situations with integrity and plan the way forward.
Crises we can help with:
● Board and staff conflicts or removal
● Voting member disputes
● Financial fraud or theft
● Disagreements with key partners or outside groups
● PR nightmares
What clients say about working with us?
“This is the most thorough, but easy to understand email I’ve EVER read from a lawyer. THANK YOU!!!” – Mandi, voting member at an educational organization
“They were able to expedite my meeting and even get some quick advice the same day! The attempt to accommodate was refreshing and her advice was very intuitive to the situation and helped immensely!” – Bruce, Board member facing a time sensitive issue at a small nonprofit
“Jess knows [our staff] aren’t administrators. She’s patient. She works with them and helps them understand. At the end of the day it’s not just about getting the job done, it’s about helping them understand why we need to be where we’re at.” – Ron, Public Finance Director at a national nonprofit
Workflow of a Nonprofit Emergency
1. Assessment & Diagnoses Phase. Book an ER Session. We’ll work with you to try to stabilize, create a plan of action or (if possible) resolve the situation in under 2 hours. Time is usually critical to the process.
2. Action Phase. We help you develop a plan in the ER Session. Often clients elect to have us help with the plan, helping you manage the situation and connect you with resources you need while things are still in “triage” mode. We strive to be highly responsive in this phase.
3. Retrospective Phase. After the smoke clears, things feel less urgent. Now let’s look at what we can do to protect you going forward. We typically work with clients to implement changes that will prevent future costly issues and keep mission delivery front and center.
Reach out today to learn more.
Birken Law Office – Law firm serving nonprofits organizations, and foundations – Birken Law